Monday, December 8, 2014

Polka Dots & Lipstick with JBR Clothing

JBR Clothing review

Happy Monday!  Personally, I think there's nothing quite like a strong red lip and a flouncy dress (especially a polka dotted one) to start the week on a good note.  One of my favorite retro retailers, JBR Clothing, was kind enough to send me this darling dress to review for my blog, and I was actually excited to get some colder weather so that I could wear it!  I chose this particular dress because 1) one can never have too many polka dotted pieces and 2) I don't currently own many long-sleeved dresses, and since it'll be freezing cold here for the next few months, I leapt at the chance to add one to my wardrobe.

polka dot dress
retro polka dot

I wasn't too familiar with H&R London, who makes this dress, prior to this review.  They're a wholesale company, so their items aren't available to purchase directly through their own website, but JBR carries a ton of their pieces.  To be perfectly honest, one of my favorite aspects about this brand is that it's quite inexpensive; this particular dress retails at around $50, and though it's easy to assume that would indicate an item of lesser quality, I am pleased to say that is not at all the case.  Retro reproduction pieces can really break the bank, and as someone who is trying to be more careful about her spending, I really appreciate companies that are providing viable options for gals who want to obtain a vintage-inspired look on a budget.

black vintage dress

This dress is made of stretch cotton, so it's not the warmest of garments, but I found it to be very well-made and figure-flattering.  I sized up to accommodate my bust (which can often be a problem for dresses with button-down fronts), and I was pleasantly surprised to find that there was absolutely no gaping!  And even the buttons on this dress are charming -- they're striped!  Because I went up a size, the shoulder portion of the dress is a tiny bit too big, but that's far less of an issue than gaping buttons.  This dress comes with a built-in crinoline along the hem, which wasn't evident from the photos provided, but it was actually nice to have the option of not wearing an additional petticoat.  Although the dress comes with a matching fabric belt, I opted to swap that out for one already in my closet for a more defined waistline.

polka dots
modern girl blitz
H&R London

One of the things that I love about JBR Clothing is that they're essentially a 1-stop shop for retro brands.  They carry tons of other brands that I love, including Hell Bunny, Stop Staring!, Voodoo Vixen, Tatyana, Folter, Steady Clothing, Heart of Haute and B.A.I.T. Footwear.  They also have lots of options for both straight and plus sizes, and have reliable size charts for each brand they carry.  I find that, more than any other style, retro-inspired brands seem to be the most dedicated to making women of all sizes feel beautiful and special -- which is one of the many reasons I love incorporating these pieces into my wardrobe.  JBR has seriously won over my heart with both their awesome dresses and the impeccable customer service I've received; not only do their orders ship within 1 business day, but they also offer free domestic returns.

But the best thing about JBR Clothing?  They're offering my readers a 15% discount now through December 15th!  Just use the code Soubrette15 at check-out!  It's the perfect time to snag some gifts for vintage-loving friends, or a holiday dress for yourself!  Here are just a few that I'm currently coveting:

Hell Bunny dress
a   //   b   //   c

retro blogger dress
Outfit Details
H&R London Corinne Dress: c/o JBR Clothing
The Best of Times Heel in Black: ModCloth
Lipstick brooch: c/o Modern Girl Blitz
Belt: from another dress

Thanks so much to JBR Clothing!  And be sure to let me know in the comments if you use the 15% off code -- part of staying on track with my spending is living vicariously through others!  ;)  

Have a marvelous Monday!
xox Sammi

14 comments:

  1. That dress is lush but the lipstick pin is just so cute x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness! You're gorgeous!

    http://blue-moon-moments.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous! Love that you're finding ways to wear dresses in the winter. I'm currently trying to figure out how to convert my summer dresses into winter-wearable!

    <3 Kelsea | Kels Shark

    ReplyDelete
  4. love that look! I also have similar shoes your inspiring me girl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous dress! You look amazing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You look absolutely amazing! :) I love your style,
    x Angela // the-style-doll.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. That cheeky lipstick brooch is the crowning touch!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous! That fit looks amazing. I'll take the big shoulders over those annoying gaping buttons too

    Inexpensive dresses? Yessss. bookmarking this for later!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The dress looks great on you. I love the hair in this too. Thanks for the heads up about an awesome sounding store too, I'll have to check that out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This dress looks like it was made for you! I'm in love. And how perfect does that lipstick brooch look with it?? You always kill it with the accessories, Sammi.

    www.room-334.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ermagherd! That brooch!

    www.findingfemme.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow what an awesomely cute dress! You absolutely can't go wrong with polka dots and red lipstick. It's one of my favorite style combinations ever!

    Jamie | PetitePanoply.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...